Sunday, December 23, 2007

Late December Musings

I’m going to try to write in my blog every day (with a few minor exceptions – like tomorrow evening – Christmas Eve; and the next day – Christmas Day). Let’s see how long I can keep this up. To begin with I’m going to try to write in Word and then paste into my blog. I really hope my students, all of them in all of my classes, past and present and future will visit my blog to read, to cogitate, to socialize, to drop little notes, or even bomb mots!
I want my blog to be successful, but not too successful; I don’t want it taking over my life. I have plenty to do now with my classes and all the reading I like to do each day. Factor in the snow shovelling and you can see that Ed is a busy boy, indeed. I am continually amazed by, and appreciative of, the tremendous amount of time and effort that some bloggers put into their blogs. Many of them are lawyers who have simply given up their practices, or most of them anyway, to blog and keep the public aware of what is happening to their rights as unscrupulous politicians are making every effort to subvert the democratic process.
I must confess that most of my reading of blogs (it’s over 50 and counting) is from the American side of our mutual border. You will find that I will often refer to them or share some of their insights with you. I also will make many references to the NHL, specifically, the Detroit Red Wings. They are mine team and I’m proud of it. I will also, in a very much more negative tone discuss the Toronto Maple Leafs and their legions of pompom waving chuckleheads who people the airwaves at TSN and Rogers’ SportsNet.
It is a given, I am sure, that the ONLY condition of employment at these two supposedly NATIONAL SPORTS CHANNELS would include undying love and admiration for everything blue & white. It is the only way that I know to explain the 24/7 love fest that occurs whenever ‘the Buds’ happen to win a game or two. It can only be surmised that all of these so-called sportscasters are also in the employ of the teachers’ retirement fund, which has a majority interest in the Leafs. In fact, there is only one sportscaster who is not a not-so-secret member of the blue & white cult, and that would be the estimable Gord Miller. We have shared a few e-mails in the past, and he assures me that is absolutely nuts around TSN when the Leafs make the playoffs or run off a modest win streak.
This brings me to my premise: that all Leaf fans, no matter what their chronological age is actually no older, or smarter, than a nine-year-old kid. Only this would explain the remarkably resilient ability of the Leaf Nation to support a team that clearly is not going to make the playoffs this year, again. But I digress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home